Monday, November 12, 2012

Just because something isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it can't quench your thirst.

For some reason I've had the urge to blog lately. Even if no one reads, it can be fun, helpful and interesting to write out thoughts. Much like Morning Musume, my opinions on various aspects of AKB48 have changed.

When I was new to the idol world, I heard a lot of fan chatter talk about AKB. I got annoyed by the almost overwhelming popularity they have. At the time, I didn't know or understand enough about AKB, Morning Musume, and the idol world in general. I was a blooming H!P fan and disliked that so many of my fellow idol fans carried on about AKB on the side. Waters I didn't feel comfortable in.

I didn't really realize until recently how long AKB has been around. I used to think of them as being the big popular girls groups, who dominated the idol world and had been for a while. But really, they have only been around since 2005. I know- 'that is still 7 years' you're thinking. True. They are maybe the third longest running female idol group.

But back then, I was thinking they had been around as long as or longer than Morning Musume. I equated popularity to time-active. Berryz Koubou has been around slightly longer than AKB48, and as far as currently active groups, Momusu takes the cake.

Time has passed so quickly. It's strange to think I've been a fan for three years. Just the yesterday I was looking through AKB's discography. I began rewatching their singles from beginning to current. When I reached Ponytail to Shushu, I did a double take upon seeing that it was released in 2010. So long ago? Two years ago?! It feels like that song came out a few months ago. Every single from then on is so fresh in my mind- some more prominently so than others.

Though I don'tknow any girls by name & face except for Maeda, Takamina, Haruna and Miichan, I honestly do like quite a few of AKB's songs. In a way, AKB has as much of a part in my idol fan history as Momusu and all of the H!P groups. This blog shows that I was trying at one point to learn more.

I don't know that I'll ever keep the members and teams straight. But I'd like to get to know AKB's music better. While I don't think they are overall as much my taste as H!P, and I do happen to think H!P releases good singles more consistently, that are more interesting (and I like their lives more). I don't dislike AKB as I thought I did back then, and I admire them as individuals and as a talented group.

No comments:

Post a Comment