Friday, December 14, 2012

Are They Singing?

(There is a positive point on AKB to this post, I promise. Just keep reading). A very big point when it comes to AKB48 vs other idol groups, and something fans and non-fans have many opinions and thoughts on. The group AKB48 does not sing live. When I first figured this out, I was deeply disappointed, and I will admit it is one of the things about them that turned me off.

PVs and good and fun, but it's the concert lives that make everything worth it. I can spend hours video surfing from one Momusu concert video to another. The raw energy, the talent, the sincerity and passion. It is all really felt, it makes everything so real and LIVE. It makes the connection between fan and idol that much more. I'm not saying that AKB isn't talented because they don't sing live. And I know it probably isn't their choice, it's the company's preference.

I've heard some people argue that AKB moves around so much on stage, and that's why they don't sing live. Baloney. Let's take Momoiro Clover for example. I adore them to pieces! When I watched their live at the 2010 Tokyo Idol Festive, my spirit plummeted when they sang live with themselves. As in, there was the actual track of their recorded voices singing, with the idols singing live along with it.

But here they are, four years after their debut, and they've been singing fully live now for probably at least two years! And they are an idol group that really does move around a lot with their dance routines. I really enjoy watching their concerts now, because I love hearing the girls sing and perform. Bad notes, good notes, scratchty throat moments and shining lines- I love it all! They started out not 100% LIVE and now they are.

Morning Musume are the same! I will admit that I dislike listening to their early performances, because they aren't performances! They are the girls dancing on stage while their recording plays and they mouth along with it. It's not just AKB that everyone picks on. But they are a very popular and known group in the idol world and since 2005, AKB are known for lipsyncing at least 80% of their performances. It's a let down.

Where I am going with this whole ramble, aside from getting out my opinions, is this; yesterday I clicked on a video, and it made me so proud of AKB! One thing that I very much admire about them, is their performances of other idol groups' songs! It's part of a karaoke theme that I think came from the members themselves. The group isn't full of themselves, many of them are wotas of other idol groups and just want to have fun and bring joy to their fans.

In the YuruYuru Karaoke Competition, the members are singing live. LIVE! Oh my goodness. It is a dream come true! I know that Momusu and other idol groups do karaoke a lot on TV, but this is the first concert I have seen themed around karaoke featuring other idol group / jpop songs. I had a BLAST watching the concert. It gives AKB a warmer spot in my heart. I truly enjoyed hearing the girls sing live.

No comments:

Post a Comment